Monday, March 25, 2013

In my culture...




As a girl child, often enough, I am not a welcome addition
That is if I am not killed before I am even born.
I am labelled a burden, sometimes even a curse and treated differently.
And my brothers always get priority in everything.

Growing up, I don’t have an identity to call my own.
My thoughts, my hopes, my dreams have no voice.
I am someone’s daughter, someone’s sister
Until I become someone else’s wife and mother

In my culture  

As a wife and a mother, the expectations are endless
Its overwhelming, to juggle between home and a job to make ends meet
Yet I am a non-entity who is never appreciated
My needs, my wants, go unnoticed.

I am expected to always respect and serve my husband
Live by his rules, no questions asked
Keep fasts for his long life and treat him like a God
Irrespective of how he chooses to treat me

Any wonder then, I feel used and abused, dead inside
Trapped like a caged bird, with broken wings
Broken spirit, unable to fly and live my dreams
Just because I am a woman

In my culture

We need to break free from this repeated cycle
By treating our sons and daughters equally
Give both the same importance in all aspects of life.
It is after all their birth right - male or female.

If we have been meek and afraid to voice our opinions
Our daughters need to be different, strong and confident
Courageous to break free if not treated with dignity
And stand strong for what they believe in

Let us teach our sons to treat women with love and respect
Just as they would want to be treated
And the importance of walking side by side as equals
Tread life’s path together with pride in each other

In my culture….

Woman to woman lets shatter the silence and voice our discontent
Let’s not subject our daughters to what we have had to endure
Together we have the resilience to bring about change

Start by welcoming the girl child with open arms 
She too is human, more vulnerable, when she is not nurtured
Make her feel valued, worthy to live life on her terms
Give her reason to hope, to aspire to live her dreams.
Don’t victimise her for being born a girl

Today’s girl child….give her a tomorrow worth living

2 comments: