Thursday, July 18, 2013

You can run, you can hide....

....but there is no escape from the icy hands of Death and that is a reality  we all have to live with.

While death is not something I think about often, I am very grateful to wake up to every new day. However, the thought was prominent in my mind recently, on my mother's 24th death anniversary.

I remember it all so clearly, when I got the news and got ready to go meet the rest of the family. I was totally dry-eyed, until the initial numbness soon gave way to unbearable pain. As the realization of her loss tore my heart to pieces, the floodgates burst and the tears flowed uncontrollably.

How do you cope, when the very centre of your world no longer exists?How do you carry on, when you can't think, beyond your own grief and the tears refuse to subside? At that point, there is only pain, heart-wrenching pain.

The reality is that with time, you do heal, the tears do stop and you learn to carry on, because life does go on, with or without you.

So you grieve, you smile through your tears. as memories flood your thoughts, thoughts that are beautifully captured in the canvas of your mind.

Some days are harder than others, there are highs and lows but I know that although she was not physically with us, she is, in spirit, watching over us and guiding our footsteps.

At times, even today, when I miss being able to call her and ask for advice, I  ask myself, 'what would mum say' and somehow, I know what to do.

End of the day, I have memories of my mother that I cherish. She was truly an angel who gave me birth, who nurtured me and  instilled strong values, that I have passed on to my own children.

I have learnt, that while time may heal the pain, love never dies. It fills your heart, it is like balm to your soul.

Sometimes, when I am feeling melancholy, I look up at the brightest twinkling star and know her love is shining down on me.  I  simply smile through my tears and whisper: "I love you too, mum".






I

No comments:

Post a Comment