Monday, May 30, 2011

Give respect, get respect

I love kids and clearly remember the times when mine were just babies.


I don't think any parent can forget the routine of three a.m. feeds, diaper changes, hours coaxing them to eat, sleepless nights when they were ill and getting them to bed, so that you could sleep too. 


I couldn't wait till mine were older and a little more independent.

Today, not only am I proud of the young adults they have turned out to be, I also have the freedom to be my own person, to spend time doing things that are important to me and at times, putting myself first too.

Our home has for several years now, been a quiet haven, no crying children, no tantrums or melt downs, then again, maybe  occasionally from the so called 'man of the house', but I believe it is a given in most homes. Makes me feel I am not alone!


I treasure the silence, so when we have friends visiting and especially if there are too many kids in the mix, running around, screaming and shouting, I find it quite a challenge to handle.

While some of the kids are well behaved, there are quite a few I dread having to deal with. Tantrums, kicking and screaming, bullying other children...little devils with an agenda, is how I see it. At such times, I can't wait for them to leave, so that I can get back my sanity.

It also never ceases to amaze me me how demanding young children are today and worse still how some parents give in to those demands, sometimes just to keep them quiet.

Call me old fashioned, but respect for parents and for one other is key, in my book. One of my friends complained recently, about how her son doesn't respect her.
"Do you respect him?" I asked and she didn't have an answer.

Why do we think that just because we are the parents, the adults, that children should always listen to us, should do as we say and that we are always right?

Please stop believing you know everything...you don't. While we probably know more, through experience, we need to respect our children, no matter how young. 

We have to listen when they talk, it will help us understand where they are coming from. We need to respect the fact that their views will be different from ours and that is alright, but it doesn't mean they are always wrong. My children have sometimes taught me a thing or two, about being patient and keeping an open mind.

Stop and listen to your children. Respect their individuality and for who they are. Don't shun their ideas, even if they are wrong. Use love and kindness, to explain your viewpoint, to help them see things from a different perspective.

Children understand more than we give them credit for. Sow the seeds of kindness and respect, shower them with love and watch them flourish into adults you can be proud of.

I know how proud I am of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment