Saturday, January 14, 2012

Living on the edge


Living on the edge...


Rules are meant to be broken, or so it seems, in Mumbai! 

I still cant forget the confused expression of the cab driver, on our ride home from the airport, when I yelled out, as he drove through a red light and when I saw other drivers doing the same, I felt compelled to question why. 

He coolly responded 'chalta hai' which loosely translated in English means, 'its not a big deal". He had to be kidding but he was dead serious and apparently, because there were no traffic police at any of the signals, after 6 or 7pm, people just did what they wanted and there was no one to stop them or ticket them for the offence. 

But wait a minute, it is one thing to break the rules, but does everyone have to drive like a maniac? There is no discipline, no road sense and trying to cross the road is like putting your life on the line.

I saw one zebra crossing that was so faded out, it was seemingly non existent. At another zebra crossing, I waited and waited, but not a single car stopped. I took the cue from others and just darted across when I got a chance. Its like they say:"In Rome, do as the Romans do" although I realised it was foolish to have to risk my life in the bargain.

Another law, that most people dont follow is buckling up when driving. However, can someone explain why it is compulsory that only the driver belt up?  The same applies to wearing a helmet while driving a motorbike...it is compulsory that the driver wears one, but not the passenger at the back. Why is safety for all, not being implemented?


What really made me see red, was when I saw little children, not more than three or four years old, running along the divide, between the ongoing and oncoming traffic. At times they were stepped on the road, within inches of oncoming cars. From their ragged clothing and dishevelled appearance it was evident that they were street children, but they were at risk of being injured or even killed and no one seemed to care - that was very disturbing.

The sad fact is that some things in Mumbai just dont change. I saw all this four years ago...and four years later, it is still the same. 

It makes me wonder....is there no value for life?















No comments:

Post a Comment