Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stepping out of my comfort zone…

 
 
I am not an adventurous person. I am never the first one to jump up and try something new, be it food, a venue or a new style of clothing;  some people must think I am boring, but that’s just me.
 
So it was totally out of the box for me to experiment and follow a health tip that ensured a kidney cleanse, which would also mean more trips to the bathroom to pee, but what caught my attention were the golden words: helps you lose weight too.
 
All I had to do was chop a bunch of cilantro, add to water and boil for 10 minutes. After it cooled, I was supposed to drink a glass every day. Additionally, I would notice the difference soon after and it seemed a harmless win-win situation, so I decided to try it for a week.
 
Day 1: The water tasted bland, had a slight yellow/green hue, nothing as vibrant and healthy looking as the picture, but the fact that I didn’t have to hold my nose to gulp it down was a relief. In fact I sipped it slowly, imagining it giving my kidneys a rude awakening as it started the cleansing.
 
Day 2 – 6:  Pretty much the same as day one. I wasn’t taking any extra trips to the bathroom, I didn’t notice any glowing skin, or weight loss either, but I decided to keep going.
 
Day 7: I emptied out the last glass from the jug in the fridge and just gulped it down. It had been a week and nothing had changed. I had no idea if my kidneys were given a thorough cleaning or not, but I hadn’t even lost an ounce. If I expected someone to say ‘you look amazing, what have you done,” that wasn’t forthcoming either. If anything, my anxiety to see some change must have caused worry lines if nothing else.
 
One week down the road, I wasn’t sure I wanted to go through the trouble of cleaning another bunch of cilantro and boiling it for dear life. There was no saying if my kidneys were doing a happy dance either and I certainly had nothing to show for it.
 
So what did I learn from all this? Simply this: get real, get your butt to the gym and work out like the rest of the tribe to lose weight, because it won’t happen by just sipping water!
 
And then people wonder why I don’t like trying new things!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment