Friday, July 22, 2011

Going with the flow - that's Yoga!



Like many people I know, I exercise, more because I have to and not because I want to.

If I didn’t have to worry about weight issues, love handles and unsightly belly fat, I would be so much happier, but you really can’t expect to eat high calorie foods and not pay the price.

But I loved my aerobic/step classes. I mean seriously, moving to the pace of loud, fast music and losing inches while having fun, was fantastic. I enjoyed aerobic kick-boxing too, despite the fact that my friends became a bit wary of me, but trust me, I never hurt a soul!

Unfortunately, I suffered a few mishaps while exercising and I realised that it was time to start listening to my body.

And boy did my body talk! For starters it reminded me, rather bluntly, I should add, that I was no spring chicken and all that jumping around thinking I was 16, would get me in trouble, physically.

That is when I turned to yoga…and it was the best decision ever.

I had tried it years ago and thought it was agonisingly boring. I couldn’t handle the slow pace, despite being told that it was a great way to unwind, detoxify and de-stress.

This time round it was different. I liked the various styles but the one I most enjoy is the hot yoga where you work out slowly, in a heated room.

I have learnt to appreciate stretching my limbs, stretching muscles, I never knew existed and experienced a feeling of calm and well-being after every session.

Yoga has awakened me to the benefits of deep breathing, which can have such a positive effect on our overall health and well-being.

For one who always listens to my heart, I was compelled to listen to my head and now my heart is simply in sync, with yoga.

No comments:

Post a Comment