Friday, July 8, 2011

The trouble with men

I am tired….seriously, tired of seeing the mess in my house, for which I am not responsible.

It’s the men folk in my house! My son and his father who drive me round the bend. At times their blank expressions when I complain, makes me wonder if there is a language barrier, although I believe it is more about selective hearing.

It is somewhat comforting to know that many other women I know are in the same boat, when dealing with the men in their family.

But honestly, how hard is it to keep things back in place. How can you feel comfortable sitting amidst a mess and seemingly enjoying whatever it is you are doing?

The problem is the little things that they overlook or simply do not see, from keeping shoes lying around, keys which they can't later find, used tooth picks, used glasses on the kitchen counter for ‘someone else’ to clean, old newspapers and the cushions on the sofa, never put back in place.

Clutter, clutter everywhere I turn! The only time the house looks neat and tidy is if they are out of the house!

No amount of repetition or nagging as they probably call it helps. While I don’t consider myself a clean freak, I still like to live in a somewhat decent environment, which means my daughter and I end up clearing their messes.

So where did I go wrong? According to friends, it is lack of training on my part! Needless to say, it is too late to get out the whip….how foolish to risk being sued for domestic violence.

Although it seems like a losing battle, I shall persevere. I don’t give up easy. Worst comes to worst…. send them to the dog house!

But here's the thing. What if they enjoy the peace and quiet there so much, they might decide not to return to the family home?

Well now, while the idea of a spick and span home makes me happy, the thought of how quiet and lonely it would get, is far from appealing.

This gives new meaning to the phrase, “Can’t live with them can’t live without.”

Darn! It is a no win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment